Here’s a networking bad habit to end right now: sending enthusiastic “you two should know each other” emails or “pick your brain” invitations to meet potential contacts over coffee. Neither networking ask is a career compliment, and they definitely aren’t the best ways to build a strong connection. Kelly explains why in this episode and offers alternative approaches that are far more likely to succeed.
Need more on this networking topic? Check out these posts on the Build Your Dream blog (as Kelly clearly has a lot to say about it):
- That Four-Letter Word Again: Time
- The Richest People Build
- Connecting is Art, Reputation and DNA
- We’re All A Little Bit Self-Serving
- You Two Should Know Each Other…aka The Dump And Drive Email
- Etiquette For Email Introductions (Again)
- ASK! Before You Make That Well Intentioned Intro
And this earlier Reputation Killers episode of the podcast.
And for more great career advice from Kelly and other experts, check out Boss Notes, a new email series from Penguin Random House providing step-by-step guidance for navigating common career challenges. Click here to sign up and start living your best work life now!