The Richest People Build #BYDN
“The richest people in the world look for and build networks, everyone else looks for work.” Robert Kiyosaki
Richest. Happiest. Most successful. Sustained, fulfilled, impactful — you name it, those people have networks (aka community, connections, authentic and meaningful relationships). Building relationships (just like being happy) is something you can work on (daily, consistently). It’s a muscle. And a mindset. And oh, very much a career success tool.
So when should you start building your network? Yesterday. Last Year. Well before now — if NOW means you desperately need a network.
A few networking lessons for those last to the Build Your Dream
“It’s all about people. It’s about networking and being nice to people and not burning any bridges.” — Mike Davidson
- Stay connected. Focus on thoughtful instead of “ask for a coffee date” contact.
- Get in the know and connect it to what someone you met cares about.
- Find the missing link. Think beyond your existing network and sources of information.
- Stay focused and share your goals and aspirations without asking for anything in return.
- Bundle up and get out there. Emails and calls are nice however! nothing beats a face to face meeting.
- Listen well — in meetings and online.
- Show up. And when you can’t show up, deliver a thoughtful, timely, considerate “I can’t attend” (as how you do that says as much about you as showing up).
- Focus on what you can do for the other person — without any expectation of return benefit.
If you need more network building tips, I’ve got them in #BYDN.
Go back to writing