Hi! I’m Kelly Hoey, author of Build Your Dream Network: Forging Powerful Relationships In A Hyper-Connected World and I’m out to change how you think, approach and feel about networking.
Building strong people networks is a critical career and life skill – it’s how we reach professional milestones and accomplish big tasks (so yeah, time to stop drinking the solo hero’s journey Kool-Aid). Also, it’s hard – because networking is an activity that involves other people (and let’s face it, we’re weird).
While I believe there is no one-size -fits-all formula when it comes to networking, there are a few #BYDN networking truths which will make you a more confident (and considerate) networker:
- Figure out what you are passionate about, as that passion fuels your networking stamina.
- Build diverse networks to create a bigger picture of who you are and what your opportunities could be.
- Accept what you can control when you are building relationships and manage what you cannot.
- Be amphibious in your approach to networking and while you’re at it, stick to tried + true give & take networking basics whether the networking “room” you’re in is physical or digital.
- Skip mastering the schmooze! Introverts are great networkers.