With digital tools and social media, you’re one click away from connecting with just about anyone. However, if you hit send on a poorly worded message to a new contact, your message is also one click away from delete. This week on the Build Your Dream Network podcast, Kelly shares her do’s and don’ts for digital outreach, which will help you stop losing opportunities to meaningfully connect online and make it far more likely you’ll get a response, rather than a delete.
- Reaching out on social media often comes across as rude or schmoozy even when it’s well-intended.
- Before reaching out to a stranger through social media, you must work hard and complete thorough research.
- You can have success reaching out through social media if you reach out strategically
What to listen for:
- 02:32 How to find out if this person is really a stranger
- 03:45 Strategies to avoid making that cold outreach even colder
- 04:38 An example of reaching out effectively
- 06:38 Three secrets to reaching out to strangers through social media
“You’ve overlooked the fact you’re connecting with a human being and humans are wired to be deeply suspicious of a stranger jumping in their face – even if the in your face is a digital one.” [02:13]
Need more? Check out these posts on the Build Your Dream blog:
- Social Media Pro-Tip: Be Yourself. Be Human.
- 5 Questions To Ask Before Getting Social [Media]
- Leveraging Twitter To Enhance Your Connections
- Boost Your Social Media Experience
- What’s Your Headline?
And for more great career advice from Kelly and other PRH experts, check out Boss Notes, a new email series from Penguin Random House providing step-by-step guidance for navigating common career challenges. Sign up for Boss Notes and start living your best work life now!