Tech needs an injection humanity – and well, we mere human are addicted to our tech. A perfect match, no?
It takes two to make a thing go right
It takes two to make it outta sight
– Rob Base and DJ E-Z Rock
My Business Builders Show guest Kate O’Neill believes so. She should know. Kate is a tech humanist (and author of new book by the same title). To quote Kate – “humans thrive on meaning and a sense of fulfillment; machines thrive on succinct instructions.” Tech and humans are a perfect match, right?
In my conversation with Kate we explore the intersection of business, tech and human objectives, the necessity for every company to have a clear, instructive operational purpose plus how Kate used her BA in German (and masters in linguistics) to achieve a few rather TECH focused firsts in her career:
- Built the first departmental website at the University of Illinois at Chicago
- Built the first intranet at Toshiba in San Jose, California
- Hold the first content management role at Netflix
“Meaningful questions are far more important than sensible answers“
– Kate O’Neill
Tune in to the entire 30 minute conversation – or at the very least fast forward to these highlights:
- @ 2:30 Kate explains her unexpected career path.
- @ 9:03 Kate dives into the importance of business purpose (yo! humans thrive on meaning…).
- @ 9:53 Kate shares why Disney’s 3 words (Create Magical Experiences) is a clear, instructive operational purpose YOUR business should aspire to.
- @ 14:03 We discuss how purpose evolves with time and context – plus how it informs every operational decision from brand to IT.
- @16:37 We broach the topic of AI. SPOILER ALERT! Data is not objective!
- @21:28 Kate discuss why there should be a three-party conversation about data.
- @24:27 We dive into the the trade-off on the use of data and how the expectation + security equation is being challenged.
And BTW, March 1 is #DayofUnplugging – so drop the smartphone and dive fully, completely into human experiences on Friday. #TGIF