Question: What are your top 3 ways to use Linkedin for networking? What is the best way to maximize networking on Linkedin?
My Answer: This is not a paid endorsement – however, I love Linkedin for business networking!
My top 3 Linkedin tips for networking are:
- Get a professional headshot.
- Aim to post an update 2-3 times a week with an article or an event of professional interest. I typically find posting during the weekday in the morning produces the most engagement with my network.
- Using the summary section of your profile in a dynamic way (that is, create content which requires updating every 2 or so weeks). When you update your profile a notification is sent to all your contact and the revised portion of your profile is highlighted. Why not draw your connections back to your profile on a regular basis by pointing them to the information you really want them to see?
A few other LinkedIn networking tips:
- Always personalize invitations to connect when you’re reaching out to someone you’ve just met. A customized message (“Nice to meet you at the December 5 Women in Business luncheon”) is more likely to result in a connection than the auto-connect “I’d like to add you to my professional network” message which LinkedIn provides.
- Use the Slideshare feature to post content regarding your services, business or expertise.
- Create a company page for your business.
- Reach out when one of your contacts updates their profile, has a professional anniversary or updates their profile with a promotion or other career milestone.