The Seriously Funny Side Of Advising The Digital Marketing Ecosystem
What’s funnier than making fun of startups and the venture capital industry? When the boutique investment bank behind all the big digital media deals does it.
‘Tis the season for holiday parties and parody videos.
As I wait for First Round Capital, the undisputed leader in the goofy holiday video laughs department to break the internet with another Christmas release, I turn to an investment banker for laughs.
Terry Kawaja has been a banker for 25 years — a short interlude of serious business in his never-ending pursuit of the next laugh. Kawaja is Founder and CEO of LUMA Partners, a strategic advisory firm focused at the intersection of media and technology. LUMA is the trusted advisor behind a number of the significant tech startup exits and M&A transactions, including:
- LUMA advised Unruly Holdings Limited, a leading social video advertising platform, on its sale to News Corporation.
- LUMA represented MarketShare, a leading marketing analytics company, in its acquisition by Neustar (NYSE: NSR).
- LUMA represented Millennial Media, Inc. (NYSE: MM), a leading mobile ad tech company, in its acquisition by AOL, a division of Verizon Wireless.
- LUMA represented MyBuys, Inc., a leader in multi-channel marketing and personalization, in the merger with Magnetic, a digital advertising company.
- LUMA represented Yieldex, Inc., a market leader in publisher forecasting and analytics tools for premium inventory, in its acquisition by AppNexus.
Kawaja and LUMA are also behind the LUMAscape — the advertising industry’s go-to source for insights on innovation, competition and disruption in the digital media ecosystem. With over 1,700,000 views and download, the LUMAscape is one of the most viewed, used, referenced and copied slides in the industry. And it is rather appropriate that some of the best content is coming from the guys advising the adtech and digital media companies.
But back to the serious business of a banker being funny…
Go back to writing